Thursday, 17 June 2010

Public & Employers Liability Insurance

If you are trading as a self employed trader or Limited company and work within any business whether it is Building/Construction related or installations you may be required by your client to obtain Public Liability Cover.

This covers you for damage that you may cause to third party property which may not be deliberate. Normal the cover will exclude the item being worked on as well, as that is what the client is paying for and any damage most be made good by the contractor.

If you employ staff you will require Employers Liability as well (this is a legal requirement.)this is a requirement if you are employing Sub Contractors where you supply the materials and they just supply the Labour. See
In fact there are many case where the contractor needs the cover but doesn't have any.

For the General Public

Would you allow a person to work on your property that does not have the correct cover?
Does your home insurance have a clause stating all contractors must have £2 million public liability insurance. Most have a endorsement but do check your policy wordings.

1. Ask a contractor to prove he has insurance? See a copy of his policy schedule (If no insurance cover or they don't wish to show it, or, can't walk away.)
2. Check the dates on the policy does it cover the period when they are doing the work?
3. Is the person/ company doing the work or sub contracting it out? If there is more than one worker make sure there is Employers Liability as well.
4. If you have major works being carried out have a schedule of works written up by the surveyor.

Remember these are guidelines and its up to you to make the decision!

The occupations that can be covered include the following: Builders, Roofers, Plasterers, Scaffolders,Painters and decorators, Plumbers, Florists, Mortgage Brokers, Website Designers, Computer consultants, Domestic Cleaners, Industrial Cleaners, Window Cleaners, Groundworkers, Aerial Erectors, Alarm Installers, Artists, Bricklayers, Car Valeters, Carpenters & Joiners, Dog Groomers, Dog walkers, Domestic Appliance Engineers, Fencing Contractors, Electricians, Glaziers, Flooring Contractor, Fitness Instructors, Hairdressers, Kitchen Installers, Music Teachers, Nail Technicians, Heating Engineers, Photographers, Professional Occupation, Accountants, Bookkeepers, Architects, Estate Agents, Property Maintenance Contractors

For more information: Visit:

No comments: