Monday, 21 January 2013

Insuring a property in France

Earlier this month I picked up a copy of "The Connexion - Helpguide to Moving To France". Although this was the 2011 Edition that I found in an English bookshop in Antibes, it is really full of very interesting facts. 

These range from ways to type accented French characters, information about sales in shops - Apparently until 2008 shops could only hold sales in two six week periods set by the state. Now shops can choose two one week periods during the year.  Can you imagine this in a British or Irish high street, when sales seem to go forever!

Another interesting point covered is what happens when you have French (or other foreign) registration plates and visit the UK? Apparently the police have been known to stop and even tow away cars if they spot a foreign plate twice in six months. So for example you visit England in March for two weeks and go back across the Channel (or Irish Sea) and return in September for another week, the UK Police's system automatically assumes that the driver has lived in the UK for a full six months with out registering the vehicle on UK plates and paying UK road tax! 

The magazine suggests you keep your car ferry tickets and proof of where you live outside the UK to prove a situation. More tips and information can be found at their website 

One area I was really interested in, was to see what the magazine said about property insurance in France. They go into detail about insurance and how unlike in Britain and Ireland if you don't want to renew the insurance, you just let the company know and move somewhere else, with a French company you must give two months in writing before the period of insurance ends to terminate the arrangement. 

The magazine does not however suggest buying your house insurance (main home / holiday rental / holiday home etc) from a company that is based in the UK for example. Although within the insurance you will most likely pay an amount for French tax within the premium.   

When the policy is written in English it is much easier to fully understand what it all means. If it does not cover you for storm damage, you can easily ask. Most of  the specialist insurance companies like INTASURE, ANDREW COPELAND and STAYSURE have telephone advisers so it is very straightforward. 

So if you are looking for property insurance (structure and contents of course) in France or other European countries visit this page at the jml-insurance website today

No comments: