Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Carbon Monoxide is The silent killer

Just had this message in from the NLA - National Landlords Association. They say that

"Carbon monoxide is often referred to as 'the silent killer', can you spot the signs? "

Carbon-based fuels are safe to use, but faulty appliances and blocked flues can cause the build-up of poisonous carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless and tasteless making it difficult to detect. Signs include*:

Stains, soot or discolouring around a gas fire or at the top of a water heater
A yellow or orange flame on a gas fire or water heater
Pilot light frequently blows out
Increased condensation inside windows

Don't put your tenants at risk

If you are a member of the NLA The NLA now offers carbon monoxide detectors to members for less than £20. Register free with the NLA Online Store and have access to our range of safety products, courses and publications. Discounts are available for NLA members.

Installing a carbon monoxide detector is no substitution for ensuring that your gas, oil, and solid fuel appliances are safe and in proper working order. For details of landlords' legal responsibilities please visit the NLA Landlord Library.

For more about carbon monoxide awareness and the Health and Safety Executive’s guidance on carbon monoxide alarms, visit the HSE website.

*Source: Health and Safety Executive: Gas safety - Carbon monoxide awareness

If you are a landlord, Why not join the NLA ? We joined way back in the early 1980's when it was known as The Small Landlords Association and have found it be very useful over the years

No comments: