Sunday, 30 May 2010

Student have started searching for rentals for next academic year

Students are starting searching for rental accommodation for the academic year that starts in September.

Many students stay in University or Collage accommodation in the first year, then move into shared accommodation from then onwards. Naturally they are on very tight budgets and if they can find a four bedroom house that has a separate lounge and dining room, will try and rent that to accommodate five of them.
Unfortunately with House in Multiple Occupation legislation, this can often be tricky these days.

Many students have been visting letting and estate agents since early May trying to find property. They often want to view a few properties and believe the owner will hold it for them through the summer so they can move in in Mid September.

As many of these properties can be owned by buy-to-let investment landlords, this often proves difficult as landlords want income 12 months a year. Students need to know that unless they can pay rent for the unoccupied period, it is not a lot of point trying to find something this side of the summer.

It is a good idea to register with agents and sometimes they might have a property coming available to fit in with their timescale. Every year a similar situation occurs and many agents put notices in their windows saying don't apply till a certain date has been reached.

One responsibilty students won't have to worry about, however is paying Council Tax. It is essential however that students take out insurance on their personal possessions as these will not be covered by their landlord's insurance.
These days there are a lot of personal items like computers, mobile phones, ipods, bikes and clothing that should be insured. Find out more at:

No comments: