Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Is your holiday rental properly insured?

Images courtesy of jmlvillas.com
Whether you let out your holiday rental or just use it yourself for weekend breaks and holidays it must be properly insured.

It could be an apartment, villa cottage, condo or farmhouse and whatever it is the contents and structure must be fully insured.

At this time of year many property owners are relaxing at their holiday home, however what happens if someone else is there who should not be and the place has been broken into and the insurance has lapsed, or it is under insured?

You do need to ensure that you have proper cover and agree terms and conditions with your insurance company when you take the insurance out.

Are there restrictions? Water has to be turned off, gas and electricity has to be cut off? Someone has to check it every few weeks?

It is most important if your holiday home is in a non English speaking country and that your insurance details are written in clear English, unless of course you are fluent in the country's language.

A few years ago this would have been a major problem, however today it is straightforward since companies like Intasure, Andrew Copeland International and Staysure entered the market.

Back in the UK, Rentguard will insure your property and of course these companies will often insure your main residence in the UK or outside the UK in other parts of Europe as well.

To find out more about these companies follow this link

Don't under value your insurance levels either.

No comments: