Wednesday 28 March 2012

Potential Subsidence Problems in the UK in 2012

We have hose pipe bance coming in certain areas of England in April and have been experiencing a lot of dry weather over the last few months.

Everyone must enjoy this beautiful spring weather, however everything in the garden is not rosy.

I have just come across this news release from HomeLet Landlord and Tenant products insurance company.

"HomeLet warns landlords of potential subsidence in 2012An unusually dry winter could mean disastrous consequences for UK homeowners......

The clocks went forward on Sunday, which means spring is officially here. Whilst this may sound like good news to most, expected milder temperatures have meant water companies have already issued drought warnings in some parts of the UK.

Rainfall this winter was a massive 79% lower than average (Source- Ely Standard). According to The Guardian, the average rainfall so far this winter is lower than the months preceding the severe 1976 drought - which brought a summer of damaged crops, water rationing and wild fires. A dry spring could have disastrous consequences to houses up and down the nation. This is because thirsty tree roots are responsible for 70% of all subsidence claims (Source- The Telegraph).

The Telegraph report a predicted 85% surge in subsidence claims last year. The British Insurance Brokers' Association (Biba) said that it has seen a fivefold increase in the number of calls about subsidence from home owners unable to get conventional insurance during the past few months. "We are getting the same number of calls a day as we used to receive in a week," a spokesman said.

Andy Wynne-Jones, Head of Underwriting at HomeLet says “Some properties are more at risk from subsidence than others. Victorian properties built in the South East are the most vulnerable. Their foundations are usually shallow and they’re regularly built on clay. Houses with large trees in their garden are also at risk. Homeowners with trees taller than 8 metres that are within 10 metres of their house could be in trouble, especially if their trees are Popler, Oak or Willow as these trees require a large amount of water”.

Andy Wynne-Jones continues, “If homeowners find that they fit the criteria of having a house with these characteristics, or have noticed houses close to them having cracks or needing underpinning, they must consult a subsidence expert as soon as possible in order to minimise the damage. A good website to consult would be The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors:  More Details Here " Source HomeLet March 2012

To find out more about HomeLet Landlord and Tenant Insurance Click Here

 In many cases when you have subsidence problems and the property has been underpinned you could find that it is difficult to get suitable insurance cover in the future.

There are a couple of specialist insurance companies / brokers who advertise on the jml insurance website. To find out more follow this link


rent guarantees said...

Property insurance insures your business against loss or damage to the location of the business and to its contents. It will also insure against loss or damage to contents under your control.

Jack said...

student houses Leeds

Real estate asset insurance guarantees your company against reduction or harm to the place of the company and to its material. It will also make sure against reduction or harm to material under your control.

homeowners insurance Florida said...

Property resource insurance coverage assures your organization against decrease or damage to the place of the organization and to its content. It will also make sure against decrease or damage to content under your management.

Unknown said...

Here I find a good posters but I think you have a ability to make much better then this... Life insurance comparison quotes